Ellen J. Winiarczyk
Teaching Assistant Professor
What I do
Direct and develop a Master's and certificate program in Nonprofit Leadership. Teach in the program. Develop partnerships across the university, nonprofit programs and external organizations that may help support the mission of DU, University College and the Nonprofit Leadership program.
For 6 years, Ellen was a site director and senior faculty at the National Service Leadership Institute co-directing executive leadership training for federal/state/local government and nonprofit executives. She has been a Bill and Melinda Gates grantee in education management and workforce development and possesses an extensive background in project management. Ellen was a lead consultant for CHP International’s Human Relations and Diversity project where she designed and delivered leadership development and cultural competency courses for senior executive and management staff. She also led state commission program and financial audits for the Corporation for National and Community Service through Encompass, LLC.
For 5 years, Ellen coached K-12 school principals for the National SAM Innovation Project in large metropolitan school districts across the U.S. She has led more than a dozen nonprofit strategic planning processes in leadership, leading organizational innovation and strategic organizational partnerships.
Ellen worked for Outward Bound Professional and the 3 other Outward Bound schools where she led wilderness courses as well as corporate professional leadership development programs. She is a recipient of the Pacific NW Experiential Educator Award She earned her doctorate in Educational Leadership and Policy Studies at the University of Denver. Her doctoral research examines teacher social capital and school leadership influences and relationships. Her research interests include social network analysis, social capital development and enhancing school leadership practices.
- EDD, Educational Leadership and Policy Studies, University of Denver, 2016
- MS, Western Water Policy and Tribal Natural Resources, The Evergreen State College, 1998
- BS, Physical Education (K-12 licensure) and Environmental Studies , University of New Hampshire, 1981
Licensure / Accreditations
- Vertical Development: Global Leadership Profile
- Leading Managers 360 (and other 360 degree products)
- Qualified Executive Coach
- Workplace Big Five Profile
- FIRO and FIRO-Business Assessments
- Professional and Community Mediator
- Meyers Briggs Type Indicator- Qualified
- Nonprofit Academic Centers Council
- Association for Research on Nonprofit Research and Voluntary Action
- Integrating Inclusive Excellence into the Classroom: Strategies for Creating Inclusive Classroom Environments
- Ruth Murry Underhill Teaching Award, University of Denver
- Master Teacher Badge, University College
- Willi Unsoeld Award, NW Region Association for Experiential Education