IAALS eDiscovery "Boot Camp"
An Educational Summit for State Court Judges
Hosted by IAALS, the Institute for the Advancement of the American Legal System and the Colorado State Court Administrator's Office
When: Saturday, June 23, 2012
- Registration: IAALS
- John Moye Hall, University of Denver
- 2060 S. Gaylord Way, Denver, CO 80208
- Classroom: Ricketson Law Building Room 255
- Sturm College of Law, University of Denver
- 2255 E. Evans Avenue, Denver, CO 80208
Parking is available in the Ricketson Law Hourly lot (space limited), the Sturm Hall Hourly lot, and the Evans Hourly garage (greatest space availability).
This educational summit for state court judges will provide basic training to help judges understand eDiscovery issues so they can provide direction to parties and counsel, avoid eDiscovery issues, navigate the dilemma when a party or counsel does not understand the electronic age, and deal with problems that invariably arise related to eDiscovery. This comprehensive program will provide the foundation for a strong understanding of eDiscovery issues, including these topics:
- Technology Basics
- Preservation Challenges
- Electronically Stored Information
- Cooperation in Discovery and Litigation
- eDiscovery in Motions Practice
- Problems and Pitfalls
Thomas Allman (Univ. of Cincinnati College of Law)
William Butterfield (Hausfeld LLP)
R. Stanton Dodge (DISH Network L.L.C.)
Sean Gallagher (Polsinelli Shughart PC)
Marcy Heronimus (Sherman & Howard L.L.C.)
Hon. Morris Hoffman (2nd Judicial District, Denver CO)
Richard Hood (Andrus Hood & Wagstaff)
Timothy Hood (Redgrave LLP)
Rebecca Love Kourlis (IAALS)
Don McLaughlin (Falcon Discovery)
Sarah Montgomery (U.S. Department of Justice)
Emily Pastorius (Teletech)
Jonathan Redgrave (Redgrave LLP)
Cory Reynolds (Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP)
Hon. Craig Shaffer (D. Colo.)
Prof. David Thomson (Sturm College of Law; University of Denver)
- 8:15 – 8:45 am Registration
- 8:45 – 9:00 am Welcome and Introductions
- 9:00 am – 10:15 am Some Basics on Technology
- 10:15 – 11:30 am What are the Difficulties in Preservation for Individuals and Companies?
- 11:30 am – 12:15 pm Lunch (provided)
- 12:15 – 1:00 pm What are the Difficulties in Collecting Electronically Stored Information (“ESI”) for Individuals and Companies?
- 1:00 – 1: 40 pm Cooperation in Discovery and Litigation
- 1:40 – 2: 20 pm Handling Discovery Motions Practice with eDiscovery Issues
- 2:20 – 2:30 Afternoon Break
- 2:30 – 3:30 pm Particularly Problematic Areas for Judges and Dangers to Avoid (and why)
- 3:30 – 3:45 pm Concluding Remarks
*Session titles subject to change
Submitted for 6 Judicial CLE credits.
Limited travel reimbursement available for out-of-state judges. Contact Brittany Kauffman at (303) 871-6619 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hotel information, including University of Denver visitor rates, available at http://www.du.edu/communityvisitors/visitors/hotels.html